As I am writing this, I'm listening to what was recently voted as the greatest symphony ever written, Beethoven's 3rd, otherwise known as The Eroica. This particular recording is conducted by Herbert von Karajan with the Berlin Philharmonic from the 1970's. So far, it sounds wonderful and I have enjoyed the cycle so far. The sound quality is good, the tempos are not off, and the orchestra has a rich, full sound.
If you know me, then you know I love Beethoven. I own several cycles of his symphonies, own a Beethoven bust and a Beethoven action figure, and, believe or not, I wrote a children's book about Beethoven for a school assignment. But once upon a time, I hated Beethoven's music. I thought it was overrated and I even gave a cycle of his symphonies a listen to try to appreciate it. But for some reason, I just did not like his music. I might have been predisposed because I thought it was too mainstream as far as symphonic music is concerned, but eventually I gave it another go after listening to some of the tracks from the Beethoven album by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Then, after listening through Solti's older cycle of symphonies and listening through his piano sonatas, I started really appreciating Beethoven's music. It took a little time, but after I gave the music a chance without bringing any attitudes against the music and started actually listening, I was able to enjoy his music. Now, listening to Leonard Bernstein analyze The Eroica is like poetry and I own several books about Beethoven's symphonies as well as several Beethoven biographies.
Now what in the world does this have to do with anything?
Well, I write this to say that, whatever it is you are predisposed against or find yourself avoiding without ever giving a chance, is something you should try unless it violates some moral principle or standard that you have (Unicorn Fraps fall into this category). Maybe it's some kind of strange food (again, unless it's a Unicorn Frap), a book, or a movie that you just don't think you would like because you're bringing assumptions and attitudes to it before you have a chance to enjoy whatever it may be. Maybe you're wrong; maybe you would like it. Maybe you would even love it. Get out there and try new things. Discover a new side to you or a new aspect of God's wonderful creation. Who knows what you might find out there?
No comments:
Post a Comment